On behalf of the International Date Palm Conference (IDPC 2020) committees, it is our great pleasure to cordially invite you to the Sixth Date Palm Symposium (KFU) and Third International Symposium on Date Palm (ISHS) which will be held in Alahsa, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from 16 to 19 November 2020. The conference will be organized by the King Faisal University (KFU) represented by the Date Palm Research Center of Excellence (DPRC) in partnership and collaboration with the International Society of Horticultural Science (ISHS).
King Faisal University is located in Hofuf city, Alahsa province in the eastern region of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Alahsa province is considered the largest oasis of date palm in the world and includes approximately 2.7 million date palm trees of different cultivars.
The conference will cover a wide range of relevant scientific issues under the theme: Date palm sustainability in food security, food nutrition and environment conservation. The scientific topics cover key areas that include Date Palm cultivation, production and improvement; Protection and management; Food security and nutrition; Marketing, processing and international trade.
The International Date Palm Conference will provide an interdisciplinary platform to researchers, professors, students, government agencies, associations, growers, entrepreneurs and other professionals having an interest in date palm to exchange scientific, economic and industrial experience and knowledge between scientists, and all stakeholders along the production and marketing date palm chain. Furthermore, it will provide opportunities to establish local, regional and global scientific and economic initiatives and collaborations to promote the date palm industry and strengthen its role in food security and environmental sustainability.
We expect your participation to contribute to an exciting conference program and a pleasant memorable experience at King Faisal University and Alahsa date palm oasis.
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Alahsa, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Prof. Dr. Mohammed Refdan Alhajhoj
Director of Date Palm Research Center of Excellence
King Faisal University (KFU)
Alahsa is the major urban center and largest province in the Eastern Region of Saudi Arabia and is famous for extensive cultivation of date palm. Alahsa oasis is located about 60 km west of Arabian Gulf and is considered the largest oasis of date palm in the world. It includes approximately 2.7 million date palm trees of different cultivars.Climate
The climate of Alahsa is arid, where summers are hot and long; the winters are cool and dry; and the sky is mostly clear year round. During the year, the temperature typically varies from 8°C to 45°C and is rarely below 5°C or above 48°C. The average temperature of Alahsa is 22°C, relative humidity is 51% and has an average of 11 hours day light during the month of November.
For more information: https://www.accuweather.com/en/sa/al-ahsa/297034/weather-forecast/297034
For air transportation, there are two international airports located in the Eastern Region, (1) King Fahad International Airport, Dammam, which is 170 km away from King Faisal University and (2) Alahsa International Airport also called as Hofuf International Airport, which is situated 24 km from the King Faisal University. For ground transportation, Alahsa railway station offers passenger transportation between Alahsa, Riyadh and Dammam. Taxi and coach services are also available for transportation between these cities.
For more information: https://www.saudirailways.org/sites/sro/Pages/home.aspx
Alahsa is blessed with many attractive places to visit such as Qasr Ibrahim, Jawatha Mosque, Mount Al-Qara, King Abdullah Environmental Park, Alahsa National Museum, Alahsa National Park and Asfar Lake.
For more information: https://scth.gov.sa/Pages/default.aspx
Gulf Cooperation Council residents are not required to get entry visa for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. For the remaining world countries you can check the website of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs: https://www.mofa.gov.sa or https://www.saudiembassy.net/visa-applicationVisa Requirements:
- A passport valid for at least six months, with at least two (2) clear visa pages adjacent to each other. The passport must be acceptable to enter both the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the applicant's next destination.
- One (1) recent passport size color photograph with a white background. Photograph(s) must be full-face shots in which the applicant is facing the camera directly. Side or angled-views are NOT accepted. Guidelines for accepted photograph for Visa.
- A completed application form filled-out in CAPITAL LETTERS in black ink or printed. Application forms can be downloaded here. Please include your email address on the application.
- A reference note showing the number and the date of the visa issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh or any of its branches in Jeddah or Dammam.
- Visa fees must be paid online through Enjaz website or through any of the Visa Offices Registered with Enjaz or accredited by the Saudi Embassy in the respective country.
- Log on to https://enjazit.com.sa . Click on “Apply for a visa to enter the Kingdom by individuals.” It is important to record the request number on the application and present it to the Consulate. Guideline for enjaz online application. Please print receipt of payment which includes the order number and attach submit with documents.
- All application forms must be typed in CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Visitors should not overstay the time granted by the visa.
- Visitors to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia must abide by the country’s Islamic laws and regulations and respect its society’s values and traditions.
- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s laws against drug trafficking are strictly enforced. Violators are subject to severe punishment.
- Conference attendees can be issued an invitation letter from the conference whenever needed and requested to expedite their entry visa processing.
Guest speakers are accommodated in the conference hotel. We do not provide hotel booking service for other attendees. Please reserve your hotel room by yourself in advance. A list of few hotels in Alahsa is below:
5 stars, 6 km away from KFU
5 stars, 8 km away from KFU
5 stars, 500 m away from KFU
4 stars, 7 km away from KFU
4 stars, 6 km away from KFU
4 stars, 12 km away from KFU
3 stars, 5 km away from KFU
Furnished apartments, suites and local hotels and restaurants are also available in the vicinity of King Faisal University.Currency
The local currency is Saudi Riyal (USD 1 = 3.75 SAR).http://www.sama.gov.sa/en-US/FinExc/Pages/CurrencyConverter.aspx